Your Trusted Legal Advocate

What to do after your spouse asks for a divorce

On Behalf of | Jan 31, 2022 | Divorce |

In the state of Pennsylvania, an individual can generally file for divorce with or without spousal approval. Therefore, if your spouse says that he or she wants to end your marriage, there is little that you can do to prevent that from happening. However, there may be steps that you can take to get your partner to change his or her mind about following through with a declaration to seek a divorce.

Give your partner some space

The first thing that you want to do after learning about your partner’s intent to end the marriage is to give that person some space. As a general rule, it’s difficult to have productive conversations when emotions are running high. Therefore, it may be best to go out for the evening or to spend the weekend with your parents before returning home and having a conversation. While you’re cooling off, it may be a good idea to learn more about state divorce laws just in case your marriage is actually going to be ending soon.

Couples counseling may be an option

It’s possible that your partner is seeking a divorce because he or she isn’t sure how to resolve an important problem in the relationship. In such a scenario, it may be best to work with a counselor to attempt to solve the issue instead of heading straight to divorce court.

What if your efforts don’t work?

If your spouse wants a divorce, it’s generally in your best interest to engage in settlement talks. Doing so may allow you to obtain cash, a home or other resources that you need to rebuild your life after your marriage ends. If you have a valid prenuptial agreement with your spouse, the relationship will likely be dissolved in accordance with its terms.

A divorce can have a significant impact on your mental, physical and financial health. Therefore, if you think that your marriage is coming to an end, it’s generally a good idea to gather documents and take other steps to prepare for settlement talks or a divorce trial.